• Photographer, artist, art historian and educator based in London, UK
• Co-founder and co-director of Lux Darkroom, London
• Visiting Lecturer at Cambridge School of Art, Anglia Ruskin University
Constanza Isaza Martínez is a visual artist based in London, working primarily in photography. Having developed a passion for the medium from a very young age, she studied Photographic Arts at the University of Westminster, and was awarded a First Class BA in 2007. In 2012, she received her MA in History of Art with a distinction from the Courtauld Institute of Art.
Constanza's practice is informed by the depth of her art-historical research, and characterised by an interest in the materiality of the print, the artistic possibilities of analogue and historical photographic processes, and the process of making as central to the meaning of the work.
Constanza has been selected for artist residencies in Canada, Italy and the USA; her work has been exhibited internationally and is included in private collections in the UK, Colombia, Canada and the USA.
Constanza lives and works in London, where she co-owns Lux Darkroom, a space dedicated to teaching and researching analogue and historical photographic processes. She regularly teaches workshops in historical processes, both at Lux Darkroom, and for clients including Cambridge School of Art, London College of Communication, and the Institute of Conservators.
• MA History of Art (Distinction), Courtauld Institute, London, 2012
• PgDip History of Art, Courtauld Institute, London, 2011
• BA Photographic Arts (First Class Honours), University of Westminster, London, 2007
Selected Exhibitions & Events
• Woolwich Contemporary Print Fair, London, UK, November 22-25th, 2018
• UK 2018 Alternative Processes Exhibition, Clifford Thames Gallery, London, UK, October 28 - November 10, 2016
•Obsolete & Discontinued, Waterstones Bookshop Gallery, Gower Street, London, October 1-27th, 2018
• Obsolete & Discontinued, Schaelpic Photokunstbar, Cologne, Germany, November 2016
• Evolution, Revela-T Festival, Vilassar de Dalt, Spain, May 20th-June 5th, 2016
• Obsolete & Discontinued, Revela-T Festival, Vilassar de Dalt, Spain, May 20th-June 5th, 2016
• Blue Show, Fitzrovia Gallery, London, September 15th-October 1st, 2015
• Actinic Festival, Sharing a Core, Traverse Theatre, Edinburgh, June 26th-July 26th, 2015
• Material Light, (co-curator & exhibitor) Centre for Contemporary Culture, Belgrade, Serbia, Jul 30- Aug 15th, 2015
• Lumen II: Dark from Night, St. John on Bethnal Green, London, March 9th - 28th, 2015
• Lumen I, The Crypt Gallery, London, December 17th - 22nd, 2014
• Rooftop Collective - Edition IV, Goldcrest, London, December 5th - June 2015, 2014
• Rooftop Collective - Edition III, Curious Duke Gallery, London, October 13th - 25th, 2014
• Alternative & Analogue, Doomed Gallery, London, October 2nd - 5th, 2014
• RPS Print Open 157, Royal Photographic Society, various UK venues, August 2014 - 2015
• London Pinhole Festival, LAPC, Doomed Gallery, London, April 25th - 27th, 2014
• Material Light, Group exhibition (co-curator), London Gallery West, Westminster University, November 2013
• Vignette Awards, (shortlisted), Photographica, Bristol, October 2013
• Seeing Science, Curry College, Boston MA, USA, September-December 2010
• 7th Biennial of Colombian Photography, Sala Suramericana, Medellín, Colombia, August 2010
• (Any) Other Gallery (group exhibition), The Other Gallery, The Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada, March 2010